Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tradition

Growing up we never went on vacation.  Or at least a traditional vacation.  We never went to Disneyland or to the beach or on a cruise.  What we did was camping.  My parents were both outdoor lovers and lived for fishing and lighting fires.  My mom was never more excited the when  my brothers and I were old enough to go through our "piro" stage.  To say my dad loved to fish would be an understatement.  There was no place more fun and calming to him then on a boat in the middle of a lake.  This is a love he has passed down to my brothers and me.  So of the best memories I have growing up involve a tent and a boat.  I remember putting on a swim suite at the begging of summer and not taking it off until I had to go back to school.  There is nothing in the world that can match sitting on a boat in the middle of a lake eating watermelon and trying to be quiet so you don't scare the fish. 
     I have the fondest memories of my dad in his Levi jeans, he never got in the water he wanted to be able to watch us kids from the boat just in case something happened, button up shirt and American flag suspenders with a big insulated mug full to the brim with ice and a diet Pepsi and his Vietnam hat.  He honestly was the kindest man, and I am not just saying that because he was my father.  He was humble and giving and always ALWAYS put others before himself.  He never understood the concept of putting the oxygen mask on yourself and then assisting the person next to you.  I have never met one person who disliked my dad.  How could you dislike a man you always answered with Yes Mama and Yes Sir no matter who he was talking to?
     Yesterday was my dads birthday and I got this email from my little brother on his mission, "Hey Sarah, do me a favor, if you can wet a hook and drink a diet Pepsi for me for dad. And if you can say hi to him for me. I love you and try to have a good day tomorrow. I miss him."  I miss him too Quincy and consider your request done.  It may take me a bit to get out fishing but I promise to make it happen.



 A Special Happy Birthday to my Dad, John W. Adams Jr.

1 comment:

Ruby said...

I miss him. He was incredibly witty and kind. He could get Max to laugh like nobody's business and I'm so glad I was able to spend time with ya'll everytime I visited Utah. I'm honored I got to spend time with your beautiful fam Sarah!!